Friday, May 21, 2021

Sugar House in Spring

It wasn’t a great winter for those that make Maple Syrup in northern New York. The winter was not cold enough for the trees to produce enough sap to make the twenty or more gallons of syrup my husband’s cousins usually produce to share with family members. So, I will be buying my maple syrup this year and I am expecting the price to go up considerably. For as much work and time it takes to make maple syrup the 20 gallons are usually worth it. However, this year’s sap only made 3 gallons of syrup. My husband, father-in-law and I took a walk in the woods to the sugar house yesterday. Some things have changed in the last 60 years but making maple syrup is pretty much the same as my husband remembers  making it with his father, grandfather and great grandfather. 

No comments: