Saturday, August 22, 2009

Save POWER Library

One of the worst things that could happen to school librarians and school students in Pennsylvania is becoming more of a possibility every day. Right at the beginning of the school year we are in real danger of loosing POWER Library. And let me tell you, even affluent school districts can’t afford to loose it let alone low-income districts. POWER Library puts the world at my student’s fingertips in the way of trusted databases; databases that my library budget can’t touch. I am not saying my school district is cheap either. I am saying in these tight budget times school districts cannot pay for luxuries such as databases. I am not saying databases are luxuries either. Databases are essential to students. Databases provide more reliable and citable information. My students can go to POWER Library any time, day or night, and get dependable sources of information with most citations included within the documents. My students use POWER Library for research projects and to satisfy their own interests. But now it looks like it may be gone. The state budget is still not passed and POWER Library is just one of the things on the chopping block. If you would like to help, please go to the Pennsylvania Library Association website and click on take action down at the bottom. It will take you to a new page where you can send an e-mail to people in Harrisburg, right from the webpage. Please do it and help save POWER Library.

No comments: